Sunnyside

Sunnyside (5 Lower Green Road)     Notes by Kathryn Franklin

(This page may be expanded at a later date to accommodate the details of 3, 5 & 7 Lower Gn Rd.)

5 Lower Green Road

Known as Sunnyside at end of 19th century and later when residents were:
1870/95                John Thomas Betts & Mrs Maria Betts
1905/18                Mrs Betts
1927/38                The Miss Myers (nieces of the Betts)
All the above were connected to the Baptist church, so ask David for details.

Sunnyside is next to Manor House, so we can trace the occupants even if there is no name given to the property.

 

Tithe – Plot 378 – House and garden (0-1-3), owner occupier Ann Willis
1841 – Ann Willis/es at Spring Cottage, Upper Green
1851  – appear to be only servants in residence at census
1861 – Thomas Steele (absent) at Spring Cottage (next Manor House)
1871 – John T Betts & Maria Betts, at Upper Green, next Manor House
1881 – John T & Mrs Marian Betts, Upper Green
1891 – Mr & Mrs Betts at Maidstone Rd
1901 – Maria Betts, widow at Sunnyside
1911 – Maria Betts, 88, widow living next Manor House, ie Sunnyside
1939 – Ada Meyer at Sunnyside

The Terrace, Pembury

This property is at the Upper Green and first appears in 1814 as a well-appointed 4-bed property for sale and appears to be in the ownership of Mr Whittaker.

In 1819, Pembury Terrace, ‘the beautiful cottage residence’ of John Willes, deceased, is advertised as ‘To Let’. It is difficult to tell whether it is the Manor House or Sunnyside, but seems a bit small to be the Manor house. The Manor house at this time was owned by George Whittaker the wealthy son of Rev John Whittaker, vicar if Pembury who had died in 1803. At the Tithe GW was the owner occupier of The Manor and Ann Willis was owner occupier of Spring Cottage next door. The difference in spelling Willis v Willes is not critical at this time and we know John’s wife was called Ann.