The Pubs of Pembury

Compiled by Tony Nicholls
.. 

 

Introduction Notes.

This is a compilation of previously documented data on the pubs of Pembury.  The existing data is extracted from many publications, web sites, businesses, local authorities and special interest groups.   We have little or no  way of knowing how these sources got their data. This project aims to tabulate some basic facts and to act as an anchor from where greater detail can be found. The information is presented as a series of basic statements, not as a cosy, narrative history of the pubs.

There are several pubs recorded for Pembury for which there is no hard evidence – just a name.  These maybe very ancient drinking houses, long gone.  They may be the old names of more recent establishments, such as the Camden Arms, thought to be called the Five Bells in ancient times.

Some years ago Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths published “The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District”.  All the pubs in their Pembury section have been listed here, but there may be arguments as to what constitutes a pub, a beer house, a cider house or just a retailer of beer.  All needed licenses to trade.  On-licenses allowed the alcoholic drink to be consumed on the site of sale.  Off-licenses prohibited the consumption of alcohol on the site of sale. The cost of the license determined what they could sell – a cider house license was cheaper than a beer house license, but neither could sell gin, whiskey, rum or any other spirits.  The term ‘Beer Retailer’, seen in many old advertisements, is assumed to be an ‘off-license’ establishment, but this is just an assumption.

Sadly, there are no records or photos of many of the missing pubs, so it is hard to make a judgement on some of the listings.  Some old beer houses were just domestic properties with the front room turned over to beer consumption.   By recording all data from all sources there may be a chance of making sense when there are enough parts of the puzzle available.

Everything on this page is up for scrutiny, testing, additions and corrections. Nothing is sacred. Where errors have been found we will do our best to add corrections without obliterating the previously published data. Differences in name spellings reflect the source of the data.

Kathryn Franklin has contributed many additions and amendments to this page. See the Sources of Information section, lower down this page, for a link to her full notes.

The map shows the locations of the pubs,  followed by a table containing known details.

002b-Pembury-Pubs

 

 

Map Ref

 Pembury Pub

 1

Black Horse   12 High Street

16th century – 1800  Cider House     Tonbridge Library  The Black Horse
Current building dates from 1801       From Pembury Conservation Area Report 1998  P15
Called The Black Horse from about 1840     From Pembury Conservation Area Report 1998  P15
Called The Black Horse Inn from about 1906    Tonbridge Library  The Black Horse
Building:  c1840      From The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District

          ——————————————————————-

Tithe Schedule (c 1840) says ‘House & garden’, tenant William Allcock. It was the only property in Pembury owned by Samuel Windes. There is no mention of it being a beerhouse, and there is no indication whether the building is new or not. In 1841 census tenant is William Alcock (bn c1800) & his occupation is ‘beershop’.     Kathryn Franklin notes 2016

          ——————————————————————-

Anonymous document in Pembury Library – Black Horse entry:
   This is the site of a cider house in the late 16th century, before licenses were required.
   Building dates to 1801 when a cider license was granted.
   Beer license granted in 1906
   1871 census has first record of the name Black Horse.

          ——————————————————————-
Note:  The Beer Act of 1830 granted a beer & cider license for 2 Guineas and a Cider only license for 1 Guinea.
There was a clear distinction between a  beerhouse and a ciderhouse.  (TN)

Restaurant converted from electricity substation building c1985.  (MC)
Extension to pub, new kitchen & merging of old restaurant  – 2000  (MC)
Conservatory extension to restaurant – 2000  ??  (MC)
Freehouse       Michele & Gary Coldwell

          ——————————————————————-

Mary Standen Pembury in Pictures :

p16 postcard view.   BH identified by white fence.
p19 postcard view.   BH identified by fence & door lamp
More pictures to come on Pembury Village web site.

The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District by Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths Publ: Meresborough Books, Gillingham, Kent      –      Black Horse  c1840

Pubhistory.com   –   KentPubs/Pembury/BlackHorse

Privately published booklet (1985) in Tonbridge Library –  The Black Horse

          ——————————————————————-

Landlords  /  Tenant Managers

Michele & Gary Coldwell       1990  – current  (MC)
John Cole    c1985 – 1990     (MC)
Robert Burrows     c1980 – c1985
Mark & Pam Waddington  c1960s – c1985     (MC)
Lillian Thomas  12 High St   1970, 1974  Kelly’s Dir – Private Residents section.  Does not fit with dates of other occupants.
Fred & Bunny Thomas     c1950s – 1960s    (JS) (MCo)
Cecil Brooks   1950, 1955         Kelly’s Dir
Thomas Sutton    1948      Kelly’s Directory  1948
Walter Coleman  ??- 1938, 1940 -??       Kelly’s Directory 1938
Jessie Silke     1931,  1934       Kelly’s Directory
Edward Maynard  ??- 1922 -??
Edward Maynard  ??- 1918-??  Kelly’s Directory 1912,  1916, 1919
Edward Maynard  ??- 1913 -??
Edward Maynard  ??- 1903 -??
Edward Maynard  ??- 1901 -??
Edward Maynard  ??- 1891 -??     Kelly’s Directory 1889, 1899
John Stanley Smith & Philip Simpson (tenants)    1892     (KF)
Edward Smith  of Edenbridge sold BH to Benjamin Collard Bushell of Westerham   1892  (KF)  
William Peacock  ??- 1881 -??      Kelly’s Directory 1884,  1886
John Walter Cox  ??- 1874 -??
John W Cox  ??- 1871 -??
Sam Wilder / William Alcock    1841    (TN – TPL)
William Allcock  (tenant)  Samuel Windes (owner)   Tithe Schedule c1840   (KF)

 2

Camden Arms / Camden Hotel     1 High Street

Building:  c1820  (KH/AG)    2007  hotel extension.
Shepherd Neame       James and Carol Cunningham

          ——————————————————————-

Mary Standen Pembury in Pictures:

p9 postcard view  1930
p10 rear of building & gardens 1912
p11 Army procession past CA 1909
p17 distant view in High St.
p18 distant view of corner door.

——————————————————————-

Anonymous document in Pembury Library – Camden Arms entry:

In 1702 Charles Amherst in his will left all his property, including the ‘The Five Bells’ on Pembury Green …..
Between 1805 – 1811 the name was changed to the Camden Arms.

The Camden estate acquired various chunks of Pembury around 1799 so it is highly probable that any old names were changed to reflect new ownership and status.
Prior to Lord Camden’s ownership the Camden arms was known as The Five Bells.
Claims that the current building is c1820 may indicate that an earlier building was replaced by a larger structure to better serve the increasing coach trade between London and the coast.

          ——————————————————————-

The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District
by Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths Publ: Meresborough Books, Gillingham, Kent     –   Camden Arms  c1820.

          ——————————————————————-

Kathryn Franklin –  ‘The Five Bells’

In 1792 George Feldwick took over lease of Five Bells & Chalket from Samuel Springate (Thos   Streatfeild owner) and in 1813 he leased Camden Arms & Chalket for 10 years from 1811. Lord Camden bought the Bayham estate which included the coaching inn in 1799, hence the change of name circa 1805.  This is the proof of continuity.

Even English Heritage say the building is 18th century, but I can remember, before the latest modernisation, a very old back-to-back fireplace in the middle of the property. Given its location on the main road London to Rye there has probably been an inn there since medieval times. There was an inn known as the sign of ‘The Cock’ in the area in 1595 and think that could be the same place.

          ——————————————————————-

Pubhistory.com     KentPubs/Pembury/CamdenHotel

British Listed Builings  (Pembury)   Camden Arms

Interior greatly modified during the 1970s under Whitbread for Beefeater restaurant.  (JC)
Photo c1912 shows Billiard Room    From Pembury in the Past by Mary Standen p21
Photo c1912 shows out buildings     From Pembury in the Past by Mary Standen p21

          ——————————————————————-

Landlords  /  Tenant Managers

James and Carol Cunningham     2002  –  current
Whitbread Brewery  ???   Beefeater restaurant.
Fremlins Brewery ???
Leneys Wateringbury ?  (Brewery ?)
Mr Wolfe   late 1950s – 1960s  (SS)
H.S. Symonds    1955     Kelly’s Dir
Claude Burgess    1950 Kelly’s Dir      mid 1950s (MCo)
V.W. Ashford   1940       Kelly’s Dir
W Horn     1938       Kelly’s Dir 1938
A.G. Allen, tenant 1935 (KF)
Arthur G. Allen    1934   Kelly’s Dir
Percy Wallaker      1933   Kelly’s Dir
Capt. Geo. Williams   1931           Kelly’s Dir 1931
G Williams  ??- 1930 -??
Bishop, tenant 1927 (KF)
Edward Simms  1924    Kelly’s Dir
Arthur Lister  ??- 1922 -??
Mrs E.K. Steadman        1919   Kelly’s Dir      (Mrs E.K. Steadman & Charles Grant  – two listings)
Charles Grant               1919   Kelly’s Dir      (Mrs E.K. Steadman & Charles Grant  – two listings)
Charles Grant, tenant 1918 (KF)
Frederick Williams  ??- 1913 -??
Mrs May  B.  Thorne    1911   Kelly’s Dir
William Thorne, tenant 1905 (KF)
William Thorn  ??- 1901, 1904 -??    1903, Kelly’s Directory
Devere Hotels  1900
Thomas Johnson, Carter, tenant 1895 (KF)
Mrs Green         1892  Kelly’s Dir
Gustuv Adolf Krusssman    1891        Kelly’s Directory
Clarence Pigot, tenant 1891 (KF)
William Andrews   1886,  1889       Kelly’s Directory
Miss Cage  1880s
Elizabeth McGregor – Camden Family Hotel – Kelly’s 1882
Augustus Leney  1886
Charles F Leney   1883
Elizabeth McGregor  ??- 1881 -??
Mrs Macgregor, tenant 1878 (KF)
Alexander McGregor  ??- 1874 -??
Alexander McGregor  ??- 1871 -??    1878  Post Office Dir
Elizabeth Chittenden  ??- 1862 -??
Henry Chittenden   (address not specified)   Licensed victualler  1858   Melville’s Directory
John Faircloth   1858        Melville’s Directory     Also listed as Posting House
George Edward Neal      1855   Post Office Directory   Also listed as Posting House
Edward Pawley, tenant 1845 (KF)
Richard Jeffrey Clout, tenant 1839/40 Piggot (KF)
Richard Jeffrey Cloute   1840   Piggot’s Directory    John Colbran’s New Guide for Tunbridge Wells 1840
Edward Pawley, tenant 1839/1840 (KF)
Benjamin Pawley   1828 – 1832   Pigot’s Directory   John Colbran’s New Guide for Tunbridge Wells 1840
                    Note: John Colbran’s New Guide for Tunbridge Wells 1840 also has Pawley at Woodsgate.

Mrs Feldwick, tenant 1820 (KF)
George Feldwick, tenant 1800 (KF)
George Feldwick,, tenant – new lease 1792 (KF)
Thomas Streatfeild, owner 1792 (KF)
Elizabeth Browne (Will of), owner 1789 (KF)
Charles Amherst (Will of), owner. William Turner, tenant 1702 (KF)
Mary Smither, tenant c1637 ? (KF)

Coaching House & Stables built c1820.  Coffee Room & Stables demolished to build Maidstone & District bus station, later demolished for car park.  Little evidence of Bus Garage.  New Hotel extension 2007  (JC)

3

King William IV     87 Hastings Road

Building:  c1800   (KH/AG)

The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District
by Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths Publ: Meresborough Books, Gillingham, Kent     –   King William IV  c1800

Pubhistory.com      KentPubs/Pembury/KingWilliam

Web site Geolocation   ( http://www.geolocation.ws/v/E/1409203/king-william-iv-public-house-pembury/en ) claims:
This pub is on Hastings Road. This 200 year old building is thought to have been a private dwelling and carpenters
    shop until 1848, when it was leased to two brothers, who were beer retailers.

Photo of 1932 shows association with Westerham Ales       From Pembury in the Past by Mary Standen p21
Report of raisin wine supplied from King William IV in 1810         From Pembury in the Past by Mary Standen p21

Landlords  /  Tenant Managers    (Some dates overlap and seem to be contradictory)

Dave Andrews & Lyn Morgan    2010 –  c2013
Closed for a short while ?
Mel Thornton & Sandy Canham     2006 –  2009 ?
Keith Hopkins  1970s   (MCo)
George Monk       1948, 1950, 1955   Kelly’s Dir
Mary Jane Jenner  1929 – 1941     From Pembury in the Past by Mary Standen p21
Frederick Jenner  1894 – 1929      From Pembury in the Past by Mary Standen p21
J Pattenden  ??- 1903 -??             Beer Retailer,  Post Office Directory 1903Kelly’s 1903
Joseph Pattenden  ??- 1901 -??    Publican ,   1901  Census        1899, 1904 Kelly’s Dir
Joseph Pattenden  ??- 1891 -??    Beer Retailer,  Post Office Directory 1891
G. Rhodes    1894   Publicans section of Pike’s Directory
George Hayler  beer retailer    1886  Kelley’s Dir
John Pentecost  ??- 1881 -??        Beerhouse Keeper,  1881  Census
John Pentecost  ??- 1871 -??        Retailer of Beer,  1881  Census
John Pavey, beerseller in Hastings Road 1851 (KF)
John Pavey – Beershopkeeper, renting from W. Neale 1848.  1st License   (Anonymous document in Pembury Library)
William Neale – Owner  1848       (Anonymous document in Pembury Library)
John Pavey, licensee 1841, 1848 (KF)
Edward Gower 1841 (KF)
Edward Gower  1838       (Anonymous document in Pembury Library)

Note:    King William IV  is the most popular monarch among pub names from the passing of the 1830 Beerhouse act that liberalised the brewing and selling of beer.   It was during his reign that the number of pubs multiplied out of control, and he is celebrated by having his name on so many.  (TN)

4

 Royal Oak    216 Henwood Green Road

Building:  c1800    (KH/AG)
Closed 2013
The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District
by Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths Publ: Meresborough Books, Gillingham, Kent     –   Royal Oak  c1800

Pubhistory.com        KentPubs/Pembury/RoyalOak

Landlords  /  Tenant Managers

Mr & Mrs McCarthy  2010
Enterprise Inns     (DG)
Bill Mantell    1950s – 1970s    (MCo)
E.F. Nicholls   1955         Kelly’s Dir 
E.W. Ball   1948,  1950             Kelly’s Dir
George Finch   1940      Kelly’s Dir  
Edward Herbert Wells  ??- 1922 -??     1924, 1927, 1934, 1938  Kelly’s    Also Prop of Camden Garage 1924
Charles Jackson  ??- 1918 -??
Richard Charles Vaughan   1914    Kelly’s Directory 1914
Charles Jackson  ??- 1913, 1916, 1919 -??    Kelly’s Directory
Mr & Mrs Jeffery  ??- 1910 -??     Charles Jeffery  beer retailer  1911  Kelly’s Dir

Henry Nash   1907    Pelton’s Directory
A J Goodwin  ??- 1903, 1904 -??
Arthur J Goodwin  ??- 1901 -??
Arthur Goodwin , Royal Oak  1898    (Kelly’s Directory  1898)
Philip Peters  ??- 1891 -??       1886  Kelly’s Directory
Philip Peters  ??- 1881 -??
Philip Peters  ??- 1874 -??
Philip Peters  ??- 1871 -??
Henry S Chittenden  ??- 1862 -??
Henry Chittenden   beer retailer  lower green (address not specified)  Post Office Directory  1855
Henry Crittenden , Royal Oak beerhouse, Lower Green 1851      (KF)
William Alcock 1841      (KF)

Royal Oak opened and licensed c1860      (KF)

PVN No 89  p20   Philip Peters Landlord 1939
This is ambiguous text and can give the impression that P Peters was the Landlord in 1939.
PVN No 93  p17      Ron Clark’s butchers shop next to Royal Oak
PVN No 101  p38    Advert.    Breakfast for £3.95

Note there is some confusion with the Royal Oak appearing on some old coaching maps.
These are taken to mean the Woodsgate Inn at Woodsgate Corner.

5

 Woodsgate Hotel / Woodsgate Inn / Royal Oak   Woodsgate Corner,  High Street

Building:  c1700 or earlier

Ancient coaching inn, hotel, and half way house for travelers between London & Rye/Hastings.
Shown as ‘Woodgate’ on Ogilby’s 1676 road map of London to Rye.

Old coaching schedules show a stop at the Royal Oak Inn, Pembury. This is the Woodsgate rather
than the Royal Oak in Henwood Green Road.
Roads Itinery of 1798          (Pembury in the Past – Mary Standen)
Roads measurable from G.P.O. London – The Royal Oak Inn at Woods Gate, Pembury, distance 36 miles from London”
Ogilby’s 1675 road map shows the Coppingcrouch Green milestone 35 miles from London Bridge.

Mary Standen  Histrory of Pembury  p44     Woodsgate (Hotel) /    Woodsgate Coaching Inn

The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District
by Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths Publ: Meresborough Books, Gillingham, Kent     –

Woodsgate Coaching Inn  c1700          (known as Royal Oak Inn – 1700s)
Pigot’s Directory  of 1840 –   ” Royal Oak, Edward PAWLEY, Woodsgate, Pembury ”

John Colbran’s New Guide for Tunbridge Wells 1840 mentions a Posting House kept by Mr Pawley.

Royal Oak at Woodsgate closed at about 1850 (KF)

Pembury Conservation Area Report 1998   –  Woodsgate Coaching Inn

Landlords  /  Tenant Managers  for Royal Oak

1823 listed as holding sale details for a property in Pembury     (KF)
1841 – Maria Pawley was licensee at Woodsgate Inn.       (KF)

1839 – Edward Pawley (Piggot) – he was at The Camden by 1845       (KF)

Landlords  /  Tenant Managers  for Woodsgate Inn

1932 – 16th cent coach house recently bought by Mr Geo Lewis & turned into Guest house.    (KF)
1886/95 – home of Major-Gen Dixon VC      (KF)
By 1850 – a private house k/a Woodsgate     (KF)
1837 – Still an inn    (KF)
1820 – Posting House & inn, tenant James Harris     (KF)

 

5a

 Woodsgate  Nightclub & Bar
..
Reports from locals of a nightclub and bar in the cafe associated with the Woodsgate Swimming Pool.
The use as a nightclub dates from around the 1960s, although the cafe is thought to be a lot older.
Joint use of building (shown on 1936 OS map)  – Cafe during the day,  Nightclub & Bar at night.
Advertised in Pembury Parish Guide 1966 – Your Local Lido ‘Woodsgate’ Meeting, Eating, Dancing …
See Woodsgate Maps page for greater details of location.

6

 Foresters Arms     Romford Road

Note there is variable spelling of Foresters and Forresters.

This gives the impression of the very old style of village public house – literally somebody turning their front room over to selling beer under license.
Mary Standen’s Pembury in the Past p17 indicates the pub was known as the ‘The Peep and Slip-it’ before
it received a license – date not known.  Thereafter it was known as the Foresters Arms. License taken away in 1917.

Postcard view of house in Romford Rd        From Mary Standen Pembury in Pictures   p63
Postcard view of house in Romford Rd        From Pembury in the Past by Mary Standen p17

The old house in Romford Road, now known as The Forresters held a license until 1919.   –  WISB 1965

20th Century OS map showing ‘BH’ –  Beer House in Romford Road

Note the difference in the buildings depicted by Mary Standen’s book and the WI Scrapbook 1965

The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District
by Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths Publ: Meresborough Books, Gillingham, Kent  –  Forresters Arms   c1870 – 1918
Kelly’s Directory of 1914 has    A. Harris – Beer Retailer, Romford

Pubhistory.com     KentPubs/Pembury/ForestersArms


Landlords  /  Tenant Managers

Rice-Oxley, tenant 1927-38    (KF)
Mrs May, tenant 1918    (KF)
A. Harris    beer retailer  Romford   1911   Kelly’s Dir
John Collins    beer retailer  Romford   1904   Kelly’s Dir
1901/George Easterfield/Beer Retailer/65/Locks Green,     Tonbridge/Census
1898  George Easterfield, Beer Retailer,  Romford – does not specify Foresters    (Kelly’s Directory  1898)
S. Kenwood Foresters Arms, Pembury 1894 Publicans section of Pike’s Directory
Spencer Kenwood    beer retailer   1892     Kelly’s Dir
Spencer Kennard, tenant 1891    (KF)
George Fry, tenant 1881     (KF)
1871/George Jury/Carpenter & Beer Retailer/51/Pembury,    Kent/Census

The following newspaper cuttings were offered by Paula Montandon and add more data –

Cutting 1 (1918)     Cutting 2 (c1920)

7

 Waterloo Inn   Highfield House,  31 Hastings Road

The Waterloo Inn – on the site of Highfield House, Hastings Road.
PVN No84, p12 suggests that Highfield House was demolished to make way for new houses on the site of Highfield Close.
Ordnance Survey maps back to 1865 show empty fields in the vicinity of Highfield Close.
Ordnance Survey maps back to 1897 show a similar shaped house to that of today’s on Hastings Road – ‘Highfield’.
Ordnance Survey map of 1865 shows a different shaped house on the site of ‘Highfield’.

Mentioned in Pembury Parish Guide 1966 as having been on the Site of Highfields in Hastings Road.  (MPt)

Where ‘Highfield’ Now stands in Hastings Road once stood The Waterloo Inn.   –  WISB 1965

Section of parish map from Mary Standen’s History of Pembury 1947 showing the site.

The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District
by Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths Publ: Meresborough Books, Gillingham, Kent  – Waterloo Inn    c1800

Landlords  /  Tenant Managers

Thomas Smith, owner. William Pavey, tenant    c1841            (KF)

8

 Five Bells   Cockshoot Cottages, Redwings Lane

The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District
by Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths Publ: Meresborough Books, Gillingham, Kent     –   Five Bells   c1800

Mentioned in Pembury Parish Guide 1966 as having been near the Old Church  (MPt)

The ‘Five Bells’ at Hawkwell away in the NE corner has long been turned into cottages  –  WISB 1965

See Camden Arms listing for ‘Five Bells’.   See Kathryn Franklin notes on ‘Five Bells’.

Landlords  /  Tenant Managers

So far listings not found in trade directories, telephone directories or beer licensing.

9

 The Alders      Alders Rd

Note the location is wrong, for historical reasons.    There is no ‘The Alders’ in Pembury.
This has been identified in”Capel Explored” (page 84) by the Capel History Society as The Dovecote Inn, Alders Road.
It was ‘The Alders’ and was renamed in 1987.  Page 83 indicates that this part of the world was at one time a part of the parish of Pembury, and deemed by the Post Office to be a part of Five Oak Green, hence the historical confusion.

The listing is maintained here because earlier sources quote this as a Pembury pub.

..
Kelly’s Directory of 1914 has a business entry for Pembury – Mrs Playfoot –  Grocer,  The Alders
Kelly’s Directory of 1934 has a business entry for Pembury – William Roberts, beer retailer  The Alders
Kelly’s Directory of 1938 has a business entry for Pembury – W. Roberts,  The Alders
All Kelly’s entries quote “Letters Through Capel”
Alders page indicates “Letters Through Capel”  ????  This entry is thought to be wrongly identified with Pembury.

Pubhistory.com     KentPubs/Pembury/Alders

Landlords  /  Tenant Managers

1862/Edward Biggs/../../../Post Office Directory
1871/Martha Biggs/Inn Keeper, Widow/43/Capel, Kent/Census
1874/James King/../../../Post Office Directory
1881/William Thorpe/Licensed Victualler/46/Maresfield, Sussex/Census
1884 James King – Kelly’s Directory     address – The Alders
1930/Wm Adams/Beer Retailer/../../Post Office Directory
1938/W Roberts/../../../Post Office Directory
1901/George McQueen/Inn Keeper/40/Pembury, Kent/Census
G. McQueen  beer retailer   1892  Kelly’s Dir
G. McQueen, The Alders Inn, Pembury      1892 Publicans section of Pike’s Directory

Edgar John Trussell, beer retailer,  Alders    1889  Kelly’s Dir

10

 Three Stars     1 Hawkwell Cottages, Maidstone Road.

The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District
by Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths Publ: Meresborough Books, Gillingham, Kent     –   Three Stars  c1800

Landlords  /  Tenant Managers

So far listings not found in trade directories, telephone directories or beer licensing.

11

 Swiss Cottage Beerhouse    132 Lower Green Road / 1 Romford Road

The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District
by Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths Publ: Meresborough Books, Gillingham, Kent  –  Swiss Cottage Beer House  c1910

Landlords  /  Tenant Managers

Original listing for “Swiss Cottage” was in “The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells” with no indication of of its location.
Various advertisements and newspaper cuttings have led to the location and the operators of this establishment.
The following newspaper cuttings were offered by Paula Montandon and add more data –

Cutting 1 (1879)    Cutting 2 (1901)   Cutting 3a (c1920)   Cutting 3b (c1920)     Cutting 4 (1944)

Percy Thomas Kenwright  Swiss Cottage Stores Lower Green Road  – death in 1944  (cutting 4) (PM)
Percy T. Kenwright   grocer   Lower Green Rd    1940  Kelly’s Dir
Alfred Palmer  Swiss Cottage,  beer retailer  Lower Green  1904   Kelly’s Dir  (see cutting 2)
Wm. Nurden   beer retailer  Lower Green  1911, 1912, 1916, 1919  Kelly’s Dir  (see cutting 3b)
W. Nurden.,  Swiss Cottage    Pelton’s Directory 1907

The newspaper cuttings suggest the Swiss Cottage beerhouse was within 300 yards of the Royal Oak.
Various advertisements featuring William Nurden selling beer from 132 Lower Green Road indicate that this is the location of the Swiss Cottage.  See Item 54 on the Lower Green – Shops & Retail page.

Kathryn Franklin –
The address is actually 1 Romford Rd, the house it was attached to is in Henwood Green Rd. (Before the Chapel was built Romford Road started at the junction of Back Lane or Henwood Green Rd. The track in front of the Chapel was then known as Chapel Lane, even into the 20th century. Henwood Green Road towards Bopeep is also a later edition, possibly 18th century. Your 1769 map & Hasted both only show a track rather than a road)

12

Half Moon Inn Half Moon Lane

PVN No 85 p14 Half Moon Inn, located three quarters along Half Moon Lane, from the A21 toward Capel.
Date unknown, but in 1995 an 85 year old recalls it was closed when his grandfather was a boy, placing it sometime around the mid 1800s.

Landlords / Tenant Managers

So far listings not found in trade directories, telephone directories or beer licensing.

 

 Unresolved Landlords & Beer Retailers

Mrs Grass    beer retailer    1899   Kelly’s Dir
Charles Humphrey   beer retailer   1911   Kelly’s Dir

Edward C. Paige,  beer retailer, High St   1924   Kelly’s Dir

 

 


Miscellaneous  entries

**********************************************************

PIGOT’S NATIONAL & COMMERCIAL DIRECTORY 1828/29

Pubs & Brewers -  COWDEN, Ashurst, Capel, Pembury, Speldhurst and Tudeley
Taverns & Public Houses
BAKER Francis     BLACK LION  Ashurst
PATEMAN Thomas  STAG   Ashurst
GEERING Adam   KING'S HEAD  Caple
WALLIS James   CROWN   Cowden
HUGHES Geo   CROWN   Groombridge
MAYNARD Ts   GREYHOUND  Langton
PAWLEY Benj   CAMDEN ARMS  Pembury
BROOKES Thos   GEORGE & DRAGON Speldhurst
HARRIS Thos   GEORGE & DRAGON Tudely
LAURENCE Wm   CHEQUERS  Tudely

**********************************************************

PIGOT’S NATIONAL & COMMERCIAL DIRECTORY 1832/33/34

Pubs & Brewers - COWDEN, Ashurst, Groombridge, Pembury & Speldhurst
Taverns & Public Houses
BEST Joseph  BLACK LION   Ashurst
PATEMAN Thomas STAG    Ashurst
GEERING Adam  KING'S HEAD   Caple
WALLIS James  CROWN    Cowden
HUGHES George  CROWN    Groombridge
HOLMES William  GREYHOUND   Langton
PAWLEY Benjamin CAMDEN ARMS   Pembury
BROOKES Thomas GEORGE & DRAGON  Speldhurst
TURNER William  RED LION    Speldhurst

**********************************************************


 Sources of Information


WISB     Pembury Women’s Institute Scrap Book 1965
KH/AG  The Old Pubs of Tunbridge Wells & District by Keith Hetherington & Alun Griffiths
JC         James Cunningham
MC        Michele Coldwell
MG        Maggie Godley
TN         Tony Nicholls
JS         Jack Stead
DG        Derek Goodwin
TK         Terry Killick
MPt        Martin Petch
MCo       Melvyn Cole
TPL        Tonbridge Public Library
SS         Sylvia Schmocker
PM         Paula Montandon
KF          Kathryn Franklin

Licensing Acts 1690-1900 for pubs and beerhouses.

Pembury Pubs as listed in Pubhistory.com     KentPubs/Pembury/

Kathryn Franklin’s notes, corrections and amendments (March 2016)

IMPORTANT !!!     This needs your help.  All contributions will be credited.
If you have any further information or corrections please contact me –
Tony Nicholls      email:   history@pembury.org