Donated Photographs – Street Scenes

The images on this page have been donated by visitors to this web site.

This page is for old photos of Pembury not seen in other publications nor
generally available for public viewing. Most are from private or family collections.
This should be the only place they are displayed on the internet.

Every photo on this page has a S*** number for future reference.

D001-Canterbury Road, Pembury
Canterbury Road. Date unknown. Donated by Anne Wilkinson    S001

 

S&BAutos-60s-800
S&B Autos c1960s Donated by Rob Sargent S002
Note the corner door at the Camden Arms – now closed & bricked up.

 

 

Camden-1840-750
Camden Arms & High Street c1840 Watercolour by William O.W.S Turner of Oxford.   S003
This painting was displayed at art dealer Abbot & Holder, Museum St, London in September 2014.
Tom Edwards of Abbott & Holder kindly granted permission for it to be shown here on the Pembury History web site.
Viewed from Hastings Road toward Tonbridge, the Camden Arms is on the left, the Smithy & Wheelwright is on the corner of
the village green and the High Street. Further down on the right is the Black Horse.

Click here for interpretation of the buildings in this painting

 

 

aeriel-woodhillpkWoodhill Park date unknown       S004
Taken from a camera on a kite.
Donated by Mike Miller via Richard Snow

 

aerial-ridgeway-c1980-800Junction of Ridgeway and Westway c1980                 S005
Taken from a camera on a kite.
Donated by Mike Miller via Richard Snow

 

 

Pembury Fire Brigade date unknown c1900          S006
The background buildings are similar to those on the village green from other photographs.
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Pembury Hospital / Tonbridge Workhouse date unknown        S007
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

 
Roadworks for the new housing estate of Beagles Wood, Petersfield,  Batchelors, etc       S008
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Belfield Road  c1972    Housing estate built 1948                  S009
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Bulls Place   c1970       Housing estate built 1947              S010
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Library/Church Institute   Henwood Green Road                 S011
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Hastings Road                 S012
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Henwood Green Road looking from Royal Oak toward Romford Road.                 S013
Alfred Turner occupied the property around 81-83 Henwood Green Road.
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

High Street     c1970                      S014
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

High Street opposite Sunhill (where the Square Deal Cafe stood)  during land development             S015
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

High Street   c1970               S016
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Motor Cycle Trials                           S017
The Camden motor cycle trials which took part in woods in the village,
seen here gathering at Brecknock motors after completing the event.
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Romford Road                 S018
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Pembury from the north with right turn into Blackhurst Lane      S019
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Village Green.    The Lodge (No 7) with large sign       S020
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Village Green             S021
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Village Green showing wheelwright workshop & house        S022
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Village Green fete or celebrations            S023
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 


Woodsgate House & High Street looking toward Tonbridge           S024
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

 

Please forward any fresh information on these pictures or any new images to Tony Nicholls at history@pembury.org