Donated Photos & Pictures – Buildings

The images on this page have been donated by visitors to this web site.

This page is for old photos of Pembury thought not seen in other publications nor
generally available for public viewing. Most are from private or family collections.
This should be the only place they are displayed on the internet.

Every photo on this page has a B*** number for future reference.

 

Pembury-Dodd-1828-750
Unidentified House in Pembury Donated by Osmund Bullock        B001
This is from a painting by Charles Tattershall Dodd in 1828, when he was 13, and inscribed “C T Dodd Pembury”
Dodd, born in Tunbridge Wells, never lived in Pembury, so it is assumed that Pembury indicates the subject matter.
The style and architecture does not match any existing house, nor any known image of a house in Pembury.

 

Bo_Peep Stores-tBo-Peep Stores 153 Hastings Rd. Donated by Mark Lawrence.       B002
Date Unknown. Early telephone number on sign.

 

 

StPeters-Int-2-3-800Interior of St Peter’s Church, Hastings Road. Date unknown. Donated by John Evans      B003

 

StPeters-Int-3-800Interior of St Peter’s Church, Hastings Road. Date unknown. Donated by John Evans      B004

More pictures of St Peter’ Church under ‘Buildings & Landmarks’ section.

 

StPetersWithSpire-800St Peter’s with spire – pre 1984 Donated by John Hawker            B005

 

Dower House 1972-800Dower House & Tonbridge Road c1972 Donated by David Doré               B006
For a full explanation of this image see the Dower House page in Buildings & Landmarks

 

carne-family-garden-800The rear of a house thought to be in Pembury.            B007
Donated by David Griggs, a relation of Margaret Carne who lived at the smithy on the green.

 

 

Rear of The Royal Oak during road construction for the new estate of
Beagles Wood, Petersfield, Batchelors                     B008
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Black Horse  1970s  with outside gents toilet on right                    B009
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Camden Arms  with corner door                         B010
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Camden Hotel and Garage    (wooden slat fascia)             B011
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

The Camden Arms  with cafe adjoining the rear                     B012
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

The Camden (previously Camden Hotel) with Whitbread sign and multiple doors.                 B013
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Church Institute,  Royal Oak                  B014
An island being constructed where there was once a green. The Royal Oak owned by Whitbread Brewery,
previously Fremlins. Between the Royal Oak and the butchers shop a car emerging from the original
track to houses behind the Oak.
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Church Institute              B015
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Church Institute,    Lower Green                           B016
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Dower House, later council offices then Jarvis/Mercure hotels                      B017
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Downingbury Farm      c1980s                  B018
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Downingbury Farm        c1980s                 B019
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Downingbury Farm      c1970s              B020
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

House near Hospital   ??                   B021
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

King William, Hastings Road      c1970s               B022
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Opening of the cricket pavilion in 1913                B023
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

Union Workhouse/Hospital Entrance              B024
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Hospital and Grounds                          B025
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Peters Cottages, Butcher’s shop.    Location of doctors’ surgery car park.                 B026
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

WW2 Pillbox in the Pembury Walks area                B027
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Cherry orchard at Priory Farm, Romford Road  late 1960s              B028
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Royal Oak                             B029
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Square Deal Cafe, High Street  c1975               B030
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Pembury Church and War Memorial                 B031
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

St Peter’s Church and grave yard                B032
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

Rear view of Woodsgate Hotel                              B033
Donated by Melvyn Cole

 

 

 

 

Please forward any fresh information on these pictures or any new images to Tony Nicholls at history@pembury.org