This page deals with old maps of Lower Green from 1868 to 1936
The old map is shown on the left and the modern day (2010) equivelant is shown on the right.
In each pairing you will always see the same modern map on the right.
Care has been taken to scale each map so that a good visual comparison of old to new is achieved.
Four landmarks have been colour coded in all maps as standard references.
Yellow – the Royal Oak public house and its rear out-building.
Light Blue – set of six houses – here referred to as the ‘Set of 6’
Red – No 81 & No 79 Henwood Green Road in later map.
Magenta – Block of 4 houses known as Slate Row – demolished for surgery car park.
Red – ancient field boundary across the green at southern boundary of 81 Henhood Green Road.
The scale of each map section is approx 170 x 230 metres.
Above – The basic maps before too much manipulation
Below – 1868 map with clutter and unnecessary detail removed.
Above – The 1868 map has had unnecessary detail removed and has had some colour added.
Note two Turnpike gates marked in red – these were for collecting road toll fees.
The set of 4 houses opposite the Turnpike (coloured magenta) have been recorded as ‘Slate Row’.
Note the field division marked in red – this follows down through the decades to today as a property boundary.
The placement of the Royal Oak shows it at a slightly different angle to that in later maps.
The two notches at the front of the Royal Oak are taken to be the bay windows.
The top of the Lower Green triangle is more pointed than in later maps. It projects well past the Royal Oak.
The Smithy is taken to be the rectangular building aligned north-south.
There is an access path between Lower Green Road and Henwood Green road.
Above – The basic 1897 map before too much manipulation.
Note ‘W’ next to a dot usually meant a well. Later maps do not show this feature.
Below – 1897 map with clutter and unnecessary detail removed
Above – The 1897 map shows the addition of a Smithy or blacksmith’s workshop and a set of 3 houses down the road.
It is not clear if the Smithy is the square building or the rectangular building, or both.
The 3 houses (light blue) are the first in the ‘Set of 6’ Today’s numbering would be 174, 176, 178
The block of 6 to the south of these three are Nos 162 – 172
Slate Row has been extended. The extension of the house closest to the Royal Oak is the Butcher’s shop.
Above – This is the uncluttered version of the 1909 map.
3 more houses have been added to complete the ‘Set of 6’ Now running 174 – 184.
Waterfield House (Doctors) in 186. Royal Oak is 216. This leaves 188 to 214 for what was Slate Row.
The Smithy is still on the map. The building to the far left has been identified as the Smithy’s house.
It is assumed that the centre and right buildings are the blacksmith’s workshops.
Above – This is the uncluttered version of the 1936 map.
Two new houses, marked in red, have been added to Henwood Green Road..
House numbers are No 79 and 81. No 81 was later sub divided to create No 81a at the southern boundary.
These houses were used as a variety of shops, bakers and grocers.
Smithy gone. Access path closed. Site now (2013) used as library car park
Slate Row later demolished for doctors’ surgery.
As these maps are being prepared (2013) there is talk of demolishing the Royal Oak for more houses.
Scaling, cropping and preparing maps for this kind of presentation.
The scaling of these maps was determined by cropping from far larger digitised maps using these rules:
Trusted feature ‘A’ is selected as the start point –
Bottom-left corner of cropped map is determined as the lower-left ‘point’ of the Lower Green triangle – Lower Green Rd / Romford Rd Junction.
If the road junction is shown rounded, make an assumption as to where the point should be.
A ‘Trusted Feature’ is something that appears on all maps under comparison – a road junction, corner of a church or pub, etc.
Trusted feature ‘B’ is selected as the vertical axis stop point –
The top of the map cuts through the lower-right corner of a very old house called ‘Queens Folly’ that will appear on maps of all ages.
This has set the top to bottom limits of the map.
There is no trusted feature to the right that is convenient on all maps, so a random feature was selected.
This defining of the right hand side of the map gave an aspect ratio (width / height) of 0.664.
For fresh maps crop the width of the image to 0.664 of the height of the image. Most image processing programs dynamically show this ratio.
The image size is then reduced to a width of 450 pixels so that all maps appear on the screen the same size and to the same scale.
Whenever manipulating old and new maps be sure to determine trusted features that will appear on all maps as references.
The ratio of 0.664 and image width of 450 pixels were convenient for this project. Other projects will require something different.
Tony Nicholls 2013