Brick and Tile Works

The industrial north of Pembury has been a bit of a mystery to a lot of people, and in examining the old maps it’s not surprising. The industrial site shifted over the years as new buildings were erected, demolished and further erected.  They were also chasing limited deposits of clay.

The following old maps have been augmented with the presence of the industrial areas.  The very last map shows today’s street plan and a set of markers that can be referenced to the older maps.  This will help understand where the old sites were in relation to today’s topography.

They are all to roughly the same size and scale.

 

500-1868-Brickworks-700

1868 map

Above – 1868 map

 

 

501-1897-Brickworks-700

1897 map

Above – 1897 map

 

 

502-1909-Brickworks-700

1909 map

Above –  1909 map    ( hoping to get full size map later )

 

 

 

503-1936-Brickworks-700

1936 map

Above –  1936 map

 

 

 

504-2010-Brickworks-702

2010 map

Above – 2010 map

The shape and junctions of Lower Green Road are quite consistent on all maps.

The following markers can be identified on some, but not all of the old maps.

A    Triangulation survey point.

B    Royal Oak Inn

C   Queen’s Folly house.

D   Lower Green Post Office

E   Corner of Field

F   Corner of Field

G   Corner of Field

H   Corner of Field

J   Corner of Field

K   Corner of Field

L   Corner of Field

M   Corner of Field

N   Corner of Field – A change in direction of the boundary line

O   Junction of industrial perimeter and Lower Green Road

P   Pond

Q   Corner of industrial perimeter in 1897 map.

R   Projection of line from point Q to the rear corner of the Royal Oak plot.

S   Approximate location of   Stone Court / Pembury Court on early maps

T   The approximate location of a unique kink in the field contour in the early maps.

These are all approximate reference points.

Blank Line

 

Tony Nicholls   2013